Replace—don’t reorganize—to save money on bathroom remodel [TEXT]
Transforming the bathroom that came with your house into the one you’ve always wanted can cost a fortune—but it doesn’t have to.
Here’s how to update and upgrade a bathroom without breaking the bank:
- Leave everything where it is. Perhaps the costliest and complicated thing you can do during a bathroom remodel is to change the layout of the room. If you want to move the toilet, shower or sink to a different location in the room, you’ll probably have to reroute the plumbing, tear out the floor and poke a lot of holes in the walls. That means you’ll have to pay to replace the floor, patch up the walls and hire a plumber.
Instead, replace your old toilet, sink and shower with nice, new ones—but put them in the same place as the old ones. Your fixtures will show off the latest styles and look shiny and new, without the expense of tearing your room apart for them.
- Don’t knock down or add any walls. Not only does that entail demolition, sheetrock replacement and plumbing, but you’re likely to need some electrical work, which involves an extra subcontractor. Work with the layout you have.
- If you convert your tub to a shower, keep the drain in the same place. Moving the drain is a big job that can get expensive.
- Minimize the number of sprays you add to your shower. It’s fun to create a spa-like space in the bathroom, but those sprays use a lot of water, and there’s a good chance the pipes your house was built with don’t have the capacity from the supply lines to deliver the extra flow.
- Look for a contractor who is licensed to do more than one thing, like a design/build company that can design your new room, tear out anything in the old one that you don’t want, and build the whole thing back. Or you could find a carpenter who also is a tile setter. Minimizing the number of contractors you need for the project usually makes the job less expensive.
- Don’t do it yourself. Skipping the contractors all together might sound like a money-saver, but when it comes to the bathroom, few homeowners are prepared to deal with the surprises that lurk behind the walls and under the floor. For example, in an older home, you’ll surely confront mold and wood rot under floors and behind walls, and you’ll have to deal with that before you can move on. And installing a shower or bathtub improperly—without waterproofing the underside of the shower pan or rubberizing the membrane that goes to the drain, for example—will force you to pay someone to stop the leaks later.
- Don’t go too “trendy.” Blindly selecting the “latest thing” will make your remodeled bathroom look great—for a year or two. And then, those things will be so out of style that you’ll want to replace them before they’re even close to worn out.
Keep up with trends by painting the walls an up-to-the-minute color. When that color is yesterday’s news, all you have to replace is the paint.
Jeb Breithaupt, B. Arch., MBA is president of JEB Design Build in North Louisiana. His firm won the coveted BBB Customer Commitment Award in 2015. You can reach him at 318-865-4914 or email email@example.com.
Want more information? To get your free report, “11 Remodeling Mistakes Cost You Thousands,” Call Mari at 318-865-4914 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your remodeling project will change your life, whether a simple bathroom update or a custom home. The JEB Design/Build Team strives to ensure that change is for the better. Our design and construction professionals are dedicated to making your dream home come to life with solutions oriented around you. Push the “easy button” and let the JEB Team help you achieve your remodeling goals
The 11 Biggest Mistakes Homeowners Make When Remodeling Their Home...And How To Avoid Them!
“JEB’s 3 Steps to a GOOD Remodeling Experience”
Who is JEB Design/Build?
“Meet the JEB Team”
“A third-generation building-industry insider, Jeb Breithaupt took over his father’s company in 1983 after a successful first career in art, and changed its focus from home building to custom remodeling.”
“Kristen has been our lead designer for over five years. With a BA from Louisiana Tech in Design, she delights clients with design ideas and guidance to make their dream homes a reality.”
“Over 15 years of experience in commercial and residential construction, as well as 8 years of service with the United States Marine Corps, make Alex the cornerstone of our proven construction process.”
Our initial consultation process provides the basis for your custom remodel. Your designer will assess your practical needs and stylistic leanings to produce a preliminary plan and design. You’ll also see a proposed scope of work, as well as a budget range to give you an idea of what your project will involve both practically and financially.
During this phase in our process, you will make material and product selections with your designer, as well as approve all buliding plans, including 3D renderings of your proposed space. Once you’ve approved a design you love, we’ll present you with a firm scope of work and firm contract price, so there are no ugly financial surprises waiting at the end of the project.
Once the final contract is signed, our office orders all materials, obtains all needed permits, and schedules your project. Your Project Leader fully manages construction, including scheduling tradesmen and deliveries. Throughout the production phase you will receive a Weekly Construction Report (WCR) via email to keep you informed on your project’s status.
What Makes Us Different
At JEB Design/Build, we understand that your remodel is important to you. We treat you and your home with the respect you deserve. Our designers and project leaders get to know you and your situation personally, so they can help you make informed design decisions, as well as keep you up to date on all progress throughout construction.
We are always available to answer your questions and address your concerns. Once you become our client, you will receive your designer and project leader’s personal phone numbers so you can reach them whenever you need to.
Our goal is to take the burden of your remodel off your shoulders. We will thoroughly plan and estimate your project, analysing all available options to find the best solution for your individual situation. Our two-year limited warranty provides an additional layer of confidence, so that as you settle into your new living space, you can rest assured that we stand behind our work.
What Our Clients Say
“Kristen is so knowledgeable. She made a point of being my friend, and really steered me in the right direction.”Jenny Gregorio
“What you can’t begin to imagine is how complicated (remodeling) is. Jeb and his team help guide you through the process to achieve your goals.”Greg May
“We chose JEB because we had high recommendations from previous clients. The addition blends flawlessly with the rest of the house.”Peggy Reedy
Review some of our work through our social media sites.